The Facts and Statistics
- Band is the largest organization on the LHS campuses.
- Band is a great social network that promotes high academic standards, self-disciplines, teamwork, responsibility, and leadership.
- The LHS Band exhibits a pattern of academic success which usually represents 50% of the Top Ten in the Senior class.
- The LHS Band offers dual high school credit in Fine Arts and Physical Education during the Fall semester.
- The LHS Band takes yearly trips to different destinations around the country.
SAT Scoring Statistics
- National Average SAT Score – 1498
- Texas Average SAT Score – 1437
- All-State Top Instrumental Ensemble Average SAT Score – 1928
The data proves that extended musical studies improves cognition and increases academic achievement.
- Students involved in public school music programs scored 107 points higher on the SATs than those with no participation.*
- Music training enhances abstract reasoning skills.**
- Music uniquely enhances higher brain functions required for mathematics, science, and engineering.**
- Students involved in music are better at languages, learned to read more easily, showed an improved social climate, showed more enjoyment in school, and had a lower level of stress than non-music students.***
*Profiles of SAT and Achievement Test Takers, The College Board, compiled by the Music Educators National Conference (2002)
**Neurological Reserach, Feb 28, 1997; Francis Rauscher, Ph.D., Gordon Shaw, Ph.D, University of California, Irvine
***Weber, E.W., Spychiger, M. & Patry, J.L. (1993)