Marching Band is an all inclusive group that gives every band and color guard member an opportunity to work together. Through the sweat of the heat and the chill of the cold bonds are formed that will last a lifetime.
In Marching Band, we have two shows. Fun Show and Contest Show.
Fun Show includes all students in the program. This is the first show we learn and is marched at games in the beginning of the season.
Contest Show is a longer and more complex show. This is the show we go to contests with. Students are assigned spots based on auditions held during summer camp. Some spots have shadows in this show, which means two students learn the same spot and whoever marches the spot best or has better attendance/participation wins the spot. The shadow can challenge the spot “lead”.
- 2016-2017 3rd place in Mesquite Marching Festival
- 2016-2017 Tournament of Champions Marching Contest made finals, 9th overall
- 2016-2017 Plano East Marching Contest made finals, 8th overall
- 2016-2017 Received 1s at the UIL Regional Marching Contest
Concert ensembles consist of Wind Symphony, Symphonic Winds, Concert Band, and Varsity Band. Every student participates in a blind audition each year to determine their band placement.
Wind Symphony is held during first period. DC instructs this band.
Symphonic Winds is held during third period. Mr. Agwu instructs this band.
Concert Band is held during fourth period. Mr. Kraft instructs this band.
Varsity Band is also held during fourth period. Mr. Agwu instructs this band.
All bands rehearse on Main Campus.
- 2016 – 2017 Wind Symphony, Symphonic Winds and Concert Band received superior ratings at Concert Band UIL
Color & Winter Guard
Color Guard is the visual component of Marching band through color and the element of dance. Color Guard meets as a class during fall semester, first period.
Winter Guard is generally smaller and performs on a contest circuit specific to Guards during the spring semester. Winter Guard meets outside the school day. Winter Guard also hosts a contest at LHS in mid spring.
Some members also play in one of the concert ensembles.
Color Guard is an integral part of our program.
Mr. Green is the visual director.
Accolades – Winter Guard
- 2016 – 2017 3rd place overall, Arlington Lamar HS contest
- 2016 – 2017 5th place overall, 1st in movement (dance) & equipment, Chisholm Trail HS contest
- 2016 – 2017 Hosted a successful contest at LHS and placed 1st in their division
- 2016 – 2017 NTCA Championships 2nd place in their division
Percussion is a combined unit of percussionists in keyboard and battery instruments working together in both marching and concert ensembles. They perform and compete in three areas – individually, as a percussion ensemble and with the bands.
Percussion is an absolutely integral part of our program.
Their staff includes Mr. Murphy and Jerime Harris, and they maintain their own site for updates and information here.
- 2017 1st place Azle HS contest
- 2017 1st place Red Oak HS contest
- 2017 1st place NCTA Championships
- 7 time winner of the Lone Star Classic drumline competition
- Past PASIC “Call for Tapes” winner
- 2014 – Performed in Indianapolis at the Percussive Arts Society International Convention
- 2013 – Nationally ranking soloist at the 2013 PAS Convention in Indianapolis
- 2013 – Performed at the 2013 PAS Convention in Indianapolis
- 2012 – McKinney Drumline Competition – 2nd place – outstanding snare line and cymbal line
- 2011 – Lone Star Classic 2nd place – outstanding snare line
- 2010 – Lone Star Classic 3rd place – outstanding cymbal line